Beckham hints at future ambassadorial role for FA


The former England captain says he will be involved in football for the rest of his life after enjoying an illustrious career is several countries
Paris Saint-Germain midfielder David Beckham has hinted that he could work with England's FA in an ambassadorial role when he retires, and says that he wants to spend the rest of his life in the game.

The 37-year-old says he will continue playing for at least another season before hanging up his boots, but added that it is harder to deal with the physical challenges of the game the longer he plays.

"I will be involved in football my whole life. My career will continue as some kind of ambassador after I finish playing. I want to help English football and football in general," Beckham told reporters.

When pressed on whether that meant he would work for the FA, Beckham responded: "Let's wait and see. Once I've finished playing I may be able to answer that. But I've had experience of playing in different countries. The advantage of the career I've had is that I've been able to experience different cultures and different ways of playing, different grassroots football. It is something that I can do when I finish playing."

He added, "I enjoy playing and that's why I still play and push myself into challenges. I want to continue. It's harder than it was when I was 21 but I am still enjoying it like I was when I was 21. And when you get to my age, you're more aware than when you were 21, you learn to read the game a lot differently. It becomes easier in that sense. Physically, it was always going to be difficult."

Beckham was given an OBE for services to football and was also part of the England coaching staff at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa after missing out on a place in the playing squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment