Ozil: Madrid lost faith in me

Arsenal broke their transfer record to seal a deal for the 24-year-old and the midfielder has revealed a talk with Arsene Wenger helped to sway his decision

Mesut Ozil has revealed the faith shown in him by Arsenal and a breakdown in his relationship with Real Madrid sealed his move to the Premier League.

Ozil completed a €50 million move to the Gunners on transfer deadline day to becomes the club’s record transfer and the second-largest in English football - with only Chelsea’s £50 million deal for Fernando Torres from Liverpool costing more.

And Ozil has confirmed he had intended to stay at Real Madrid as recently as the weekend, but felt a lack of faith shown in him by the Spanish giants proved it was the right time to leave and join the Gunners.
He told the German football association's official website: "At the weekend, I was certain that I would stay at Real Madrid, but afterwards I realised that I did not have the faith from the coach or the bosses. 

"I am a player who needs this faith and that is what I have felt from Arsenal, which is why I have joined.

"I am really looking forward to it because I have the faith of the coach. I had spoken to him at length on the telephone, he explained his plans and that he has faith in me - that is what I need as a player. 

"I am looking forward to the new challenge there. I have already heard that they have super fans, the city is great and the team is fantastic."

Ozil also believes Arsene Wenger can take his game to another level and is relishing playing in the Premier League.

"Wenger gives me the faith and I can develop further," he added. "I know what I can do and I know that I could make the grade with any club in the world because I am so convinced in myself, but if I don't feel people have faith in me, then that is why I had to leave and at Arsenal, I feel I have this fully. 

"I am sure the new coach is going to develop me further and I am also really looking forward to playing in the Premier League."

No comments:

Post a Comment