Kolo Toure hails Liverpool competition

Liverpool defender Kolo Toure has hailed the club's defensive strength in depth.

The 32-year-old, a summer acquisition from Manchester City, saw fellow centre-backs Mamadou Sakho and Tiago Ilori arrive at Anfield on transfer deadline day. 

The duo complemented the earlier signing of left-back Aly Cissokho and the Ivorian Toure believes that both new centre-back recruits have boosted competition within the heart of the club's defence. "It has increased the competition and everybody has to work really hard every day," Toure told the club's official website.


"That is the only way we can make the team better and I'm glad we have signed two very, very good players.

"We know all about Mamadou Sakho, he is a very good player. Tiago has also come in from Portugal and is a really good defender as well."

Toure, who could return to action in Monday's clash against Swansea after missing Liverpool's win over Manchester United with a groin injury, believes his experience gives him the edge of the Reds' new recruits in the battle for a first-team spot.

"I will always bring my experience," he continued.

"The competition will be fair and I will help them when they need it. We work as a team, but I will do my best to show the manager I can keep my place.

"I enjoy the responsibility [of leading by example]. With the experience I have, I can help them and show them the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment