Mesut Ozil: I chose Arsenal because of Wenger

Arsenal's record signing Mesut Ozil insists that he joined Arsenal because of manager Arsene Wenger.

The Germany international joined the club from Real Madrid in a €47 million deal on transfer deadline day and insists that the presence of the Gunners boss at the Emirates Stadium was a big part of his decision to move to the club.

He told reporters at his Gunners unveiling: "It [Wenger's influence] was the most important thing for me, what he thinks about me what his plans are for me. I decided to come to Arsenal because I had the trust and a family environment here. He told me what he thinks about me and that's why I chose Arsenal.

"I feel very good here, it’s great to be part of this team. The city is very nice and you can see how familiar this club is. I feel very good here, everyone is very cordial, the boss is great I’m sure he will improve me. I want to continue developing here, I want to keep improving and this is why I’ve come to the team.

"Of course I couldn’t really think much about Arsenal because I had to focus on the national team. I spoke to [Lukas] Podolski and [Per Mertesacker] Mert about Arsenal and how the club works. Of course I’m new here and I’m curious. I only heard good things. This is a successful club with young players who develop well here and this is one of the reasons I’ve come here. I’m really happy to be here under such a big manager."

Ozil, who is expected to make his debut for Arsenal away at Sunderland on Saturday, has underlined his desire to succeed in his new surroundings and end the club's eight-year trophy drought.

He continued: "I can’t promise to win trophies but as a team we will give our all to win trophies. We want to play attractive football. I know the team, the talent we have here. Arsenal is one of the biggest clubs in the world, we want to achieve something in this team. The league is the strongest in the world but we will give everything to have success.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment