Ribery eyes Ballon d'Or prize

The 30-year-old recently won Uefa's Best Player in Europe award and now wants to dethrone Lionel Messi and claim another individual trophy
Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery is confident he can win the Ballon d'Or ahead of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The 30-year-old was a key player in Bayern's treble-winning success last term and won Uefa's Best Player in Europe award last week.

And he has now targeted Lionel Messi's Ballon d'Or crown and insists he would me more than worthy of landing the prize.
"Of course I believe in it. Last year I did what had to be done on the pitch and off it," he told reporters, while on international duty for France.
"I was very professional, I had a great time with my team and we really enjoyed it.
"The Super Cup did a lot of good for the club. There's not much time left [before the award is voted on]. I have to continue without asking myself too many questions and still try to enjoy myself.
"It's always flattering, and particularly with this kind of trophy. To be elected the best player ahead of Messi and Ronaldo, that's amazing. It's true that I'm really enjoying myself right now. This award is a plus for me in a sporting sense, it gives me confidence.
"Perhaps it puts more pressure on me, but I manage to handle that sort of situation well. I mustn't get carried away. It's up to me to keep working, enjoy myself, and help my team, be it Bayern or France."
Bayern president Uli Hoeness has thrown his weight of support behind Ribery landing a second major individual award and believes there are few players capable of challenging him.
"Who else but him should win it? I doubt there is anyone in South America who has a better chance," Hoeness told Bild.
Ribery scored 11 goals and made 18 assists in all competitions last season as Bayern won the Champions League, Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal.

No comments:

Post a Comment