'I can't believe Spain call' - Nacho

The 23-year-old has admitted that he was shocked at having been drafted into Vicente del Bosque's panel for this week's clash with Finland

Nacho Fernandez has expressed his surprise at being named in the Spain squad to face Finland in a 2014 World Cup qualifier on Friday.

The Real Madrid defender was omitted from coach Vicente del Bosque's original panel but, following injuries to a number of personnel, the 23-year-old was called up.

"I was at home with my family. I heard because my phone was flooded with messages, calls and ‘Whatsapps’," Nacho told AS. "I thought something was up, but not this. It was the last thing I expected.

"I can’t really believe it. To be honest, I didn’t really believe it even after hearing it, until this morning I was finally able to get a look at the newspapers with the news and my photo in all of them.

"It's a gift from above."

The Blancos starlet went on to vow to vindicate Del Bosque's faith in him, while revealing he is taking advice from team-mate Iker Casillas - who has 148 caps to his name - on the importance of making an impression at international level.

"I haven’t spoken to him [Del Bosque] yet," he added. "I’m very grateful to him for what it means for my career. I hope to repay his faith in me.

"Iker told me to take advantage of the opportunity and that it’s a great experience - what all players aspire to. I’m going to enjoy it."

No comments:

Post a Comment