Klose lays out retirement plans

The striker looks set to stand down from international duties next year and said he would like to finish his playing career in Germany
Lazio forward Miroslav Klose has revealed that he plans to retire from international football after World Cup 2014 before ending his playing career back in the Bundesliga.

The veteran forward, who is one strike shy of Gerd Muller's record of 68 Germany goals, left his homeland in 2011 for the Stadio Olimpico where he has continued to shine in attack despite being 35 years old.

Klose has admitted that international retirement after next summer's tournament in Brazil is likely and insists that winning the World Cup is his priority, not adding to his 14 goals to break the record of 15 times that Ronaldo scored.

"I assume [my retirement] is what will happen with regards to the national team," he told Kicker.

"The title with the team has top priority [over Ronaldo's record]. If I can win the 2014 World Cup in Brazil that would be the greatest for me. Everything else would be secondary."

The ex-Bayern Munich striker does not want to make plans beyond 2013-14 but revealed his intention to return to the Bundesliga from Serie A. 

"I want to play a good season, play the World Cup and then take it from there," he added. "I am still fit and still feel like playing football, then certainly the Bundesliga is an option.

"I can really imagine finishing my career in Bundesliga."

No comments:

Post a Comment