Wenger only wants 'special' signings for Arsenal

The Gunners boss says the club need to strengthen before the close of the transfer window but stopped short of revealing who he wants to sign, with Angel Di Maria linked

Arsene Wenger says he remains confident Arsenal will sign some players before the close of the transfer window but warns he is only interested in "special" signings.

The Gunners have endured a quiet summer bringing in only Yaya Sanogo and have been frustrated in their efforts to strengthen their squad. 
Arsenal have opened preliminary talks with Real Madrid over a £26 million deal for Angel Di Maria and Wenger says he hopes to be able to do some business.

“I still am optimistic and I hope I will not disappoint you," he told reporters. "We have not a fixed number [of signings in mind]. I just think we are a bit short at the moment.

"I'm guided by my conscience to do as well as I can for this club and by the vision of the game I want to play.

"I feel with the players I have I can play the football we want to play. I'm a great admirer of the spirit, the attitude of these players.

"They are special and if I want to add something it has to be special."

Arsenal have also had a bid for Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye rejected, but Wenger refused to reveal who the club were currently chasing.

"I will not give you any names, because it would be unfair for the players who play at another club. It could, as well, create some wrong hopes,” he added.

"You could see that many of the disputes you have all over the country is because the coaches or the managers speak about the players.

"In our job, just be discreet and try to make things happen. That's what we try to do.

"You can come back to me and say 'yes, but you don't make things happen'.

"But it's still only most important in our job is what happens on the football pitch and how well you play football. The rest we work very hard on."

No comments:

Post a Comment